Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rejected

How much rejection can one person take? I know I'm in a business filled with it. You send a story to a magazine - they don't like it. You send a manuscript to an agent - they love it but they need you to send them money in order for them to "get it published." Yeah, sure. So, I've gotten used to rejection. I don't like it, but I know I have no control over someone's likes or dislikes. It's at those times, when you're feeling really low. Your confidence is shot. You don't know whether or not to keep trying. It's then that your child comes up and tells you how much she loves you. Or she tells you that you're the best mom ever or that you're pretty. Oh, how I would have loved that today - a hug from one of the little girls I labored with. A little wink, a smile, something to let me know how great I am. Instead, I got "When is Daddy going to be home?" or "Mom, can you go away so I can play with Grandpa?" or "I want to live with Gammy" or "Aunt Jen is way smarter than you." Talk about feeling like chopped liver. When I got home from a PTA meeting tonight, the house was quiet - both girls were in bed. I was starting to feel a bit sad. I was going to end my night with no hug or kiss or 'I love you' from either one of my two favorite people. Until, Chris comes out of Caty's room and tells me "She wants you. She's just about to fall asleep, but she says she needs you." Me???!!! She needs me? I nearly jump out of my chair to rush into my oldest daughter's bedroom. I brush back the hair from her forehead and kiss the soft skin. And she smiles at me with that missing front tooth and my heart melts. She asks me to read her a story, because I'm a way better reader than Daddy! So, maybe I'll never write a book, but I'll stay happy as long as I can read them to my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment