Friday, May 8, 2009

Cartoons and clothes

On behalf of moms everywhere, I am asking the important questions. Little Bear - why doesn't he wear clothes? His parents wear them. When it's cold, he wears a hat and a scarf. I mean, I know bears don't need clothes, but if Father Bear and Mother Bear get clothes, then Little Bear should get them too. The Berenstain Bears have clothes. Maybe they can loan him some. There are plenty of famous cartoon characters that were never given clothes while their counterparts were. Pluto? No clothes. Mickey, Donald, heck, even Goofy had clothes! And why is it that the dog doesn't get to talk? Scooby Doo talks a little, but most dogs in cartoons don't talk. Are we supposed to believe that bears can talk and monkeys can talk and turtles can talk but dogs can't? Why type of stereotyping is this anyway? Okay, while we're talking about the realism in cartoons, I need to know... What genius thought it would be a good idea to let a little girl traipse through the rainforest sans parents? Dora explores the world, jumping over crocodiles, riding around with a purple squirrel who apparently has a driver's license, and bossing everyone around. And please don't get me started on this new Toot and Puddle. How am I supposed to explain to my children why two male pigs - who aren't related - live together. I just don't want to have that talk yet! Why can't we go back to the old days? When cartoons were about blowing up TNT and smashing someone's foot with an anvil? Can't we have a cartoon where we push a button to get dressed and a robot cleans the house? Am I asking too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment