Friday, May 1, 2009

Every mom is different

This week, I suffered an eye injury. Nothing major, but I had to see my doctor and then an opthal... an eye doctor for scratches on my eye. Both times, I had to bring one or both children with me. My kids, for some reason, act like complete goofballs when we get into a doctor's office. They also act pretty goofy in the bank. I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the smell of money. Anyway, both doctors that I saw are women, but I was so amazed by how differently they handled my girls. In the first case, it was a regular internist - not my normal doctor. She was around my age and said she was a mom. I didn't go any further in the conversation because I just wanted to get out of there. My first clue that I didn't like the woman is when I told her I hurt my eye and she asked if I went to the eye doctor. I felt like saying "Yeah, I did, but I figure they're not really eye experts like you are!" Duh. My kids were being silly but they weren't doing anything harmful. They were bored. She snapped at them pretty fast and they looked pretty shocked and scared. I was okay with it because it saved me from scolding them. But, today, at the eye doctor, I had only Sabrina and we were around some pretty high-tech equipment that she really could have done damage to. The doctor, a mom of four, was so calm and cool about the whole thing. She was so sweet and patient with Sabrina. It made me wonder if she was so calm because she'd been through it all with her four kids, ranging in age from 12 to 3, or if she was just a nice, relaxed, patient woman. I am more like the first woman. I wish I could be more like the second. Maybe I should have two more kids and that will make me more calm. Ha. Oh, man, I just almost peed my pants from laughing so hard. Two more kids! That's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment