Friday, May 15, 2009

Dad's Night Out

Okay, it's no big news that I am a certified husband basher. I complain about the man more than a hangnail. But, tonight I got to thinking about one of the things about being a dad. For instance, tonight, he went out for a few drinks with a friend. Does he worry about bedtime? Does he ask if I need help with the kids? Nope. He never asks. When he went away one weekend, he didn't stop to think what would happen with the kids. That's one of the biggest differences between moms and dads. If I ever went away for a weekend alone (yeah, because that might ever happen) there would be phone calls made to grandparents for babysitting and lists written up and preparations made. A guy - he just up and goes like he's still a bachelor. Yes, I know I'm a stay at home mom, but really, he did have something to do with creating these girls. Wouldn't it be nice of him to know a bit more about them? What happens to men when they become dads? All of a sudden, they forget they have moms on mother's day and we're the ones to buy the cards, flowers, and gifts. Are they the ones making sure the permission slips are signed and in the backpack? Are they getting lunches and snacks ready? Are they up baking cupcakes for tomorrow's bake sale? Man, they get off pretty easy, huh? Believe me, if I knew my kids were getting the same upbringing they get with me, I would be fine becoming the breadwinner. I would happily go back to work and return to the world of adult interaction and conversation and thinking. So, I think I'm going out tomorrow night for a few cold ones. (And I'll make sure the girls are happy and tucked in before I go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment